Academy President’s Remarks 2016
What an inspiring week this has been!
This is what I promised you last year.
- I would listen
- I would help others to achieve excellence
- I would lead with courage and hope
I outlined at that time that my focus would be
- Continuing education
- Helping our Fertility Care Practitioners be successful in their business
- Outreach to and collaboration with other like-minded organizations
- Membership growth
- Improved use of technology
I am pleased to report to you that we have made progress toward these goals and we are moving in the right direction. I am excited about continuing to lead this organization.
What is it that would make us want to give so much of our lives to a cause that is very countercultural and so small when compared to the other movements and forces that are molding and directing our world?
My answer to that question would be this: when we apply the science and the values of the Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY to the human condition, we see great things happen. Healing occurs, lives are changed, and families become healthier and stronger. And we experience the same in our own lives!
For the coming year, the Board and I hope to focus on
- Membership: bringing more value to your membership, encouraging participation, facilitating the process of obtaining Active membership
- Certification: greater support for the Commission so that they can improve their process and efficiency
- Education: offering opportunities for new knowledge & skills (as well as review) that are needed in both clinical/practice management areas
- Affiliation: working more closely with IIRRM, FCCA, PPVI
- The IIRRM and AAFCP have reached an agreement that will enhance the educational opportunities of our members
- Technology: leveraging technology to help us accomplish our goals with quality and efficiency
I still think that the world is a mess. However, there is hope!
This is what I said last year and I think it is worth saying again:
- We have one of the best jobs in the world! How many people are given the opportunity to talk about the wonders of what God has created and show the connections between fertility and health and science and medicine, and help with the miraculous process of human conception?
- We have patients that are hungry for the truth, and in particular in the area of their human sexuality.
- We should have hope because we are not alone-look at all of the remarkable people that you have met this week, your colleagues at home, the grateful couples that you have helped, the teachers and supervisors that have gotten you to where you are today!
- We have a great professional organization
- We should have hope because we have the knowledge and tools to share with other health care professionals in a way that can make them better providers of health care even when they can’t understand everything that we do
- Finally, there is great peace and professional satisfaction that comes when you are treating a patient and you know that what you are doing is based on the very best in science and service and you have been faithful to your God.
Before I close, I want to offer thanks to our Board members for their wisdom and work and for being a great team. I thank Suzie and her great team for this outstanding event. I thank my wife for her love and support this past year.
And finally, I want to thank all of you. You have given me, once again, hope and wisdom and perseverance for the journey.
I look forward to working with you this year, and I hope to see you in Texas in 2017.